Northern Residents & Travel Deductions

Posted March 25, 2014
Written by

Do you have a Box 32 on your T4?  If you are a Northern Resident and you have a Box 32, you are able to claim a travel deduction equivalent to the lesser of: lowest return airfare, the amount in Box 32, or your actual expenses.  Lowest return airfare is the regular cost of a ticket from your community to the nearest major centre – Edmonton in the West and Ottawa in the East.  Actual expenses could be calculated at a daily rate for meals of $51 per person ($17/meal), and $0.585/km for vehicle travel, or you can use actual receipts.  Whichever method you choose must be used for the entire trip.

Supported Software